I LOVE Christmas time, and I LOVE making cute holiday-themed foods! As someone who follows a keto diet, I am always looking for fun foods for parties that aren’t too high in carbs, and I think I nailed it with this recipe! Today I wanted to share this delicious keto appetizer that is relatively easy to make and perfect for all of the holiday get-togethers! This was inspired by a post on Pinterest, except I replaced the bread dough with a keto friendly fat head dough. It’s low carb and tastes great! Not to mention super adorable as well.
The foundation of these pizza pull-apart bites is fat head dough, which will be rolled out, stuffed with cheese and rolled into balls to create the Christmas tree shape!
Fat Head Dough
(I used @keto.copy on IG recipe – it’s a favorite of mine)
- 10oz Mozzarella Cheese
- 5oz Almond Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- Sliced Pepperonis
- Melted Butter
- The first step is to make the fat head dough. Place 10oz of mozzarella cheese into microwave safe bowl, and the dry ingredients of the fathead dough into a second bowl.
- Microwave the cheese in 30-second increments until totally melted. (Took me 1.5 minutes)
- Once the cheese is melted, crack in one egg and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients ( almond flour, baking powder, and seasoning) into the melted cheese and stir until combined.
- Knead the dough with wet hands, to avoid sticking, until dough is well combined.
- Set dough aside. Slice up cheese sticks into 4-5 pieces.
- Place dough on parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll until dough is pretty thin, use some oil if the dough is sticky.
- Use a knife to cut the dough into squares, experiment to find the perfect size to wrap around your cheese pieces.
- Place a piece of cheese on top of the dough and shape it into a ball. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Arrange the dough balls into tree shape and brush with melted butter.
- Place in 350-degree oven and cook for 18-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out of the oven, brush with melted butter, garnish with cut up pepperoni and serve with a side of marinara sauce.
I hope you enjoy this keto pizza pull-apart recipe, perfect for Christmas!
Learn more about the keto diet HERE.